Baaton Baaton me..

Suniye, kahiye. Kahiye na, suniye. Kahte,sunte,baaton hi baaton me..

Monday, December 13, 2004

The Blues!

Nabhendra sent me this. He has penned it down with a lot of effort and heart. Not to mention, he has done a lot of ground work on this. So, Probably we can discuss this --

1. What does the blues sound like?

Well blues is a genre of music just as classic rock, pop, techno,
metal etc etc. Just like defining any other genre of music it is very
hard to define Blues. It is characterized by a particular note known
as the blues notes. the Instruments that accompany the blues are
simple ones like acoustic guitar, piano, harmonica. The vocals may
vary from smooth melodious voice of a woman to a almost shouting of a
worker in a field or a drunkard. The lyrics are not poetic but it sure
is eclectic. The topic of a blues song may vary from the baby goin
away (most common one), heartbreaks, time in jail, expressing love,
expressing or bragging about one's manhood, poverty etc etc. The most
characteristic phrases/words of a blues song are: 'Woke up this
morning', 'hoochie coochie man', 'baby is gone' and 'mojo'.

The beauty about blues (the good old time blues of 1930-1950s that I
really consider as classic blues) is that it is performed without the
use of studio full of gadgets designed to make music sound better. It
is just pure and simple. Often referred to as 'the devils music', it
all about a common man singing about his life, his mood at that
particular point of time in a very simple and honest way.

Who started singing the blues?

Long long time ago, in the early 20th century, the land of Mississippi
Delta was full of large cotton farms that spread for miles. The work
on these farms was very labor intensive so a lot of blacks were
employed on these farms. The black workers used to work for hours at a
stretch and earned almost nothing. It was a hard time for these chaps.
They made those conditions bearable by singing while they worked. They
all sung together when they worked on cotton fields, on rail roads, in
graveyards. It was in this wilderness of Mississippi Delta that the
blue originated.

West Africa has a long and rich musical tradition and fortunately the
slaves brought into the US never abandoned that tradition. In the
beginning the music of the slaves was confined to their workplaces and
was buried with them. As these slaves became free they went places in
search work. Wherever they went they carried their music with them. By
1930s the blues had established itself as a form of art. Still it was
mostly confined to the southern parts of US. One of the most
influential artist of that era was Robert Johnson, also referred to as
'the king of the (Mississippi) delta blues'. Unfortunately all we know
about this person who had such a massive impact on modern music is
from 29 recored songs and 2 photographs. Recently Eric Clapton came
out with an album titled 'Me and Mr Johnson', in which he covered some
of the songs of Robert Johnson as a tribute.

The blues got an unlikely boost from the great depression of 1930s.
The 1930s saw the economy of the US breaking down. Nobody had any
money and people who were hit the most were the black workers. The
south no longer had money to pay them for their jobs on the farms.
This led to the great black migration towards industrial towns like
Chicago and New York. This brought blues to a bigger and wider
audience. Soon Chicago became the new center of the blues and artists
like Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf blossomed here. These two were one
of the few ``classic" blues artists who lived and performed long
enough to enjoy their success.

How did I come across the blues?

It was surely not an accident. It was going to happen one day and
could not have been averted. I was destined to discover the blues.

Its been about for years that I have been listening to classic rock
and almost every artist (Dylan, Rolling Stones, Led Zep, Nirvana..
almost everybody) has been influenced by blues. Its the roots of all
forms and rock and popular music. It was the great blues guitarists
like Robert Johnson, Son House, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Leadbelly
that inspired people like Robert Plant (Led Zep), Keith Richards
(Rolling Stones), Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Clapton, Greg Allman etc
etc to ever pick up a guitar. Most of them have a have a constant
bluesy undertone (Led Zep, Jimi Hendrix, Allman Brothers Bands, Lynyrd
Skynyrd) or (other bands that had a more bent towards pop) have at
some point paid tribute to the blues e.g. 'Little Red Rooster'-
Rolling Stones, 'While my Guitar Gently Weeps'-Beatles, ' Back Door
Man'-The Doors (although I insist that doors has a constant bluesy
undertone) and the list goes on. It was the music inspired by the
blues that these bands played during 60s and 70s which brought about
the rock and roll culture and along with it a huge change in the
society. Thats why I once said that the blues are the soul of all the
fucking music ever made (when I said 'all the fuckin music' I was
referring to the rock/pop and not things like indian classical or A R
Rehman's stuff ).

I have been listening to all these bands for a while but didn't know
how it all begun. At least not until I came across this series of two
hour documentaries produces by Martin Scorsese. I had always
appreciated the soundtracks and background scores of Scorsese's movies
and had firmly believed that this guy has a great taste of music. So I
decided to see these documentaries and explore blues. Neither the
documentaries, nor the blues let me down. I am happy that I have
finally arrived at the core of it all. For a devotee of rock and roll
like me its like realizing the ultimate truth, the union with the
Supreme.

How does that matter to you guys?

Well unfortunately I am very much sure that as of now you guys won;t
like the blues much, if at all. I believe it requires a lot of ground
work for enjoying blues. Its very different from the ultra-melodic
bollywood music. I think it would be pertinent to present a time-line
of a rock-n-roll worshipper. I call it a 'Brief History of a DESI
Rock-n-Roll Worshipper'

- Born in a regular desi household which may or not be into popular
music. If the household is conducive to listening of music he
discovers kishore, rafi, mukesh and lata early on.

-Starts discovering music on his own although he still has no sense of its
own. For him a good song is the one that is aired during the prime
time on TV channels and is the talk of the school.

-Still hung on to the prime time numbers. Now since puberty has come
or round the corner songs with attractive women seem better. Also
wants more beats and naughty lyrics in the songs.

-Starts liking a girl. Realizes that the english pop music has quite a
lot of beats and cheezy/romantic numbers. Starts listening to Boyzone,
Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi etc. At the same time starts appreciating the
oldies by Kishore and Rafi.

-Starts getting more and more frustrated. All the promises that were
once made are not being fulfilled. Girls are a tough thing to handle.
Life is not easy. He needs something more, something heavy, something
to
forget about all this bull shit. At this point of time Metallica
sounds like a message of the God himself and Nirvana is the next best
thing. Probably take the first drag of cigs.

-Gets a little more matured. Realizes that lifes just like this and
its not meant to be fair. Heartbreaks and broken promises are a part
of life. Listening to Pink Floyd day in and day out. Thinks that if
one band has said it all its this. Also now the scope of good music is
much wider. Its no longer constrained by melody, beats or head
banging. Starts appreciating the Doors and Led Zep. Says to his
friends 'You know Jimmo is the man'. At the same time starts
appreciating Mukesh. And yeah realizes that although Johnny Walker
Black Label is the best whiskey but its Bagpiper for him for he is
short on cast. Probably take the first drag of ganja.

-One day he hears a man singing in a rather nasal voice and asking
questions like 'How many roads must a man walk down, before you call
him a man'. This does not seem like a regular song. Its like plateau
of poetry over waves of music. But dude listen to what he is saying.
Man he is saying all the right things, life is just like that. His
first introduction with Bob Dylan is somethin like this. Now he is
reading all he could about this incredible man Dylan. Sometimes even
thinks that why this man is not the president of the US.

-From now on the rock-n-roll journey picks up speed. He digs deeper
and deeper. Each new band bringing him closer to the ultimate truth :
the blues. He discovers: Credence Clearwater Revival, Allman Brothers
Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Dire Straits, Rolling Stones, Simon and
Garfunkel, Bad Company, Rush, The Who, Cream, Clapton, ZZ Top,
Meatloaf,Tom Petty,.. .. .. .. .. .. .. ... .. and so on

- Also picks up a taste for country, folk and soul music. Now he can
appreciate Fleetwood Mac, Joni Mitchell, Johnny Cash etc etc... He is
almost there. At the same time realizes that Hemant Kumar was the
dude.

- Finally he reaches there. This is where he was destined to my
friends. He finds the blues.

So guys blues hits you really hard when you are ripe for it and I
heard it I was all ripe for it.

11 Comments:

At 12:51 AM, Blogger abhaga said...

Did Nabbu write it? It's fucking brilliant and so true !! BTW, if any of u can listen to online radio somewhere, there is something nice and timely for u that I heard yesterday. There is this series "Masters of Rock" on BBC Music 2 channel presented by the lead man of Iron Maiden and guess what. Last episode was about blues where he played a selection of blues from oldtime to new. I say its worth it :)
In all of the above story and also looking at the postings of Akshaya, I have completely missed out on Dylan. Never heard even a single song from him though have read quite a few lyrics now thanks to Akshaya. In fact I read an article making his case for a nobel prize in literature but the committee was not sure if a song writer would qualify as a author.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger abhaga said...

Let's call nabbu also here :)

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Braveheart said...

well, abhaga..do one thing first! Get everybody a copy of the message as a mail in his account. I was fucking shouting at all of you to not have commented back on this too, when i just thought of looking into this and found these. Can we do that abhaga?

Next, as I have had quite a lot of discussion with nabbhu about this, I have kinda drained myself. But well, no doubt about the fact that his story of evolution of a desi rock and roll fan is quite authentic and has a shade people can easily relate to.

As for Dylan, yah, there is some guy who has been nominating Dylan for the Nobel Prize since a long time but has never been seriously noticed. Well, I think Dylan is quite amazing but I would think very lowly of Swedish Academy if they come down to this level to award Dylan with the Prize which has seen the likes of Camus, Tagore, Garcia, Elliot and Churchil. I mean Dylan is certainly not in their league. He is far far behind them, as I see it. Literature is too rich a field for Dylan. He is just an amazing song-writer.

As for the blues, I need to get hold of some strongly recommended songs by Nabhendra to come to any viewpoint. From what I read of Blues by Dylan and Clapton, nothing is of the order of what I would think too highly of. In fact, Sahir and in fact, the urdu poetry by Faiz Ahmed Faiz etc is light years ahead of all this.

Can we have some strong points please!
Akshaya

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger abhaga said...

Well I can specify only one address to which they send the notification. SO there are two ways:
Either I can create a yahoo/google group and give that address (which is a good idea since it will also help this group of people to keep in touch, people who are not joined by the formal bondings of wing, year, dept but much more stronger ties of brotherhood and love.. okey, sorry ! I get carried away at times)
or, I can give one address and that person can then forward the mail to all on a list.
Choose one !

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Braveheart said...

Abhaga, I choose the second one. And you are the man. So just create a list of gmail id-s and keep sending the notification to that list.
Those with much stronger bonds can be added to the list later. Anyway, even the already present ones are not contributing. There is no poin to add crowd!
Hope everyone is with me! :)
Akshaya

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger abhaga said...

Now to the post. Well I have not listened to many blues and I like Urdu shayaari a bit too much to compare it to anything and also, I think that this line of argument is futile. We should not try to discriminate between the music based on language (though that is again debatable since a language carries along with it a mirror of people and culture).
But let me quote from this post itself:
"Also now the scope of good music is much wider. Its no longer constrained by melody, beats or head banging."
Now it sounds ironical to talk about music without melody !! Isn't music supposed to be melodious and have sur-taal? As neeraj also said that the main thing that stops the modern hindi poetry from becoming popular is the lack of rythem in that, lack of music. All the folk music is so melodious and that I consider is as pure music as it comes.
On the other hand, rock and Roll, a lot of which is not very melodious has been hugely popular in a large part of the world. No doubt a large part of it is quite melodious also but it is definitely not in the league of a lot else. Question to be asked is, what made it so popular? What needs did it fullfill? What part of human pysche did it hit? What were the conditions when it started and what affected it and are those things still valid today? And the most important according to me is if it is the destiny of this unmelodious, loud music to just helps people to see more greener pastures as happens in the case of our Desi rock worshipper or there is more to it?

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Braveheart said...

Well, in no way, I am going to compare the languages. In my personal opinion, though, Urdu is a far more sweeter language for poetry. Its mannerisms and words are draped in a miraculous effect. It certainly puts english language at a huge loss. But even without it, the thoughts which have been put forward by Dylan and Clapton are much narrower in range, and very repititive. They seriously lack the range of ideas only. When it comes to ways of saying it, man, the urdu poetry beats them hands down.

As for popularity, I wish we could do without it. I mean this should be the last thing we should talk about, when we are talking about Music as an Art. Popularity is for mediocres. Just that, Perfection is a powerful force too :)

For melody, I agree that its essential to good feel of music. Music demands you to swim deep down into it and get drenched. Without melody, its certainly not possible. But as people say about Sahir, he never wrote for music. The music directors always found their ways to celebrate his legend with his words. So probably its about some more heart to be put into your work. But well, in my opinion, without melody, the music is incomplete. Poetry may be without it, not music.
Akshaya

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger abhaga said...

Well I think nabbu put across much better what I wanted to say.
BH: I would also not like to contest the claim that without melody, music is incomplete but my question is how do u define melody. Of course there are no definitions to be given here. It all depends on ur feelings, your perception. But the thing to take into consideration is that our perceptions and feelings are heavily biased by our upbringing, our enviornment and our exposure to various things. This is what nabbu said. Then how can we claim that some music is melodious and something else is not?
The solution I think is in recognizing the fact that music is not an end but a medium. A medium to take us to some higher level, to something beyond our senses and till it serves that purpose, it doesn't matter if it is Naushad or Pink Floyd, Sahir or Dylan. Describing melody as "the sweetness to ear" and then judging music based on that is in my opinion, quite superficial. An anology with food and taste is obvious.
As I said in a comment on bh's blog, there may be various ways of reaching the ultimate truth and it should not matter what path we take if there is only one story in the end.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Braveheart said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Braveheart said...

To feel it, takes the beauty of a heart and soul. To say it, takes the ugliness of words and logic.

I have made my final remarks on this issue in my latest post 'Music and Fluidity'. I wish you could see it.

Akshaya

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger NN said...

Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home